Search This Blog

Saturday, October 17, 2020

Rona

It has been three months since I have blogged and I can't tell you why. It seemed as if everything was the same, day after day, week after week. Yet our knowledge of this virus changed often and it was still the only thing my friends talked about. I wore masks when I had to buy groceries, used sanitizer when I touched things, and stayed home much more than I liked. So how did I get the coronavirus? I don't know. All I know is that I went in for a test to make sure I wasn't positive before I suggested a visit with my daughter. I went on about my business. 

It has begun to get cold here, and restaurants have separated tables by at least six feet. I went out to eat in two indoor restaurants after I had the test because I had what I thought was a migraine and my usual colitis, only to find I had tested positive. 

My test was on Friday, October 9, which is my older brother's birthday. I got the results on Tuesday morning when I called to find out my results. My first reaction was denial. I think it was a good thing that I found out I had the virus after the worst of the symptoms. I called my brother and kids, then proceeded to call everyone that might have gotten it from me. After all, we don't know how long I had it before I tested positive. So far, two neighbors have tested negative, whew! Others could not get tested because the lines are suddenly two hours/days long. 

I am staying home and my friends are overwhelming me with kindness. I keep busy so I don't think about the other effects of COVID 19 that may yet occur. This is the second week, so I am hoping I don't tank, the way some people do. Luckily, last spring I had purchased an oximeter because there were no tests available. So I am keeping track of my temp and my oxygen and hoping all the prayers of friends will carry me through this safely. 

Last spring, I had some symptoms similar to COVID, and imagined what it would mean if I didn't make it. I decided it was time to divest myself of a lot of material assets. I chose to give away books and quilting supplies.  There is still too much "stuff" but now I worry about giving away virus with items. 

So the topic I had chosen for the year was to be "Climate" and this little tiny virus has completely taken over our waking hours. Our country's leaders have allowed over eight million people to get the virus and 217,918 people to die (as of October 17, 2020) through the inept handling of the Republicans. Our economy is in dire straits and Republicans have only given money to large corporations, which has kept some people employed until now. 

Add to that 8 hurricanes, 25 storms, with people being removed to shelters. Don't forget to add those moved to shelters in California because of the record 4.1 million acres being burned up by forest fires.

Some of the symptoms I have had are headache which caused me to lay on the sofa all day, diarrhea, chills, food tasting bad, smell coming and going, fatigue, and brain fog. I've been lucky enough to feel okay, and I hope it continues. 

My favorite method for coping has been to keep busy and not think about what's going on in the world. So much tragedy. There have been many great jokes on social media, but there have been some digital improvements. Lots of classes have been moved online, and we can "see" our friends on Zoom, FaceTime and Facebook. 

As the holidays approach and I don't know what to plan. Planning is overrated.



No comments: