Search This Blog

Friday, September 28, 2018

Be Open to Everything, But Limit Yourself






While cleaning out my files today, I ran across this: Mathematical Art Galleries. One of those galleries can be accessed HERE. I always cringe when I hear people say they are not good at math. I get it. I don’t really want to learn about cars or circuitry, but that doesn’t mean I have to reject it at the very mention of the subject. I can still enjoy a good discussion about car repair or learn what I need to learn to teach children how to make clothing with electronics that light up. 

To me, creativity is being open to all things. Not at the same time, of course. And that’s what I am working on next month. Clearing out unnecessary books and quilting materials. Here it is, on record. I am making a commitment to clean out books I will never read, fabric I will never use. I want to make room for the new.

Quilter’s often go through this. It takes so long to make a quilt that I frequently get sick of it long before it is made. I have put three quilts away (partially completed) because I have learned that I will like them when I’ve had a break.

I am a hoarder, and I’m not sure what the causes are. Yes, there is a family tendency towards this, but I have made so many changes in my life. Why do I still think I can read another book when I add it to the pile on the floor next to the shelves that are full - two sets of shelves? Why do I think I can make hundreds of quilts in my lifetime when I know they take anywhere from a few months to a couple of years each? 

As changes in my life have occurred, I have been able to change, so I know I will be able to do this, too. By limiting myself, I will free up time to do a few selected things. I will still work on several things at once, to stave off boredom, but I will let go of the ones I started and didn’t like all that much. I’ll be reporting back on my progress next month and let you know.

No comments: